The Handmade Expo is a high quality market showcasing talented craftspeople, artists, designers, providers of high quality supplies and gourmets and vintage items. Potential participants are required to submit an application form online on our website and email product images if they do not have a facebook page or website to direct viewers too. Your images may be used on the website and promotional material.
Upon receiving a notice of approval, full payment will be required by the due date on your approval email. Absolutely no cash payments will be taken on the day for that market, but can be made in advance for following bookings.
If payment or proof of payment is not provided before market day, a site will not be allocated to you.
The Handmade Expo and Vintage Market has Public and Product Liability in place for stallholders who do not carry their own. If you do have your own insurance, than you will not be covered under ours. It is illegal to have 2 insurance covers. Please email through a certificate of currency upon application.
As of 2017 those without insurance cover will be charged an additional fee of $5 per market date booked to be covered under our insurance policy.
ACCEPTABLE INSURANCE RISKS:
Food and beverage (not food vans, not alcohol), arts and crafts, novelties (eg. glow sticks), clothing and accessories (i.e. sunglasses, jewellery, etc.), temporary tattoos (i.e. spray- on), books, videos, DVD’s, CD’s, souvenirs, produce, exhibiting (marketing only, not selling actual goods or service), trash and treasure
UNACCEPTABLE INSURANCE RISKS: In respect of Products Liability only the following risks are unacceptable: Health/ cosmetics / medicines / potions / oils / soaps, alcohol, candles, amusement device operators, electrical goods / tools, second hand toys, massage / therapy, hazardous, flammable or dangerous goods. Any risks not mentioned above are a referral to the insurer. On occasions where you sell products / services which are a mix of Acceptable and Unacceptable Risks, only the Acceptable risks will be insured.
The Handmade Expo Market at Cairns is held at the
Parramatta State School
122 Mulgrave Rd, Parramatta Park, QLD, 4870
What do YOU get for your stall fee:
- Site in a high traffic/profile area at a regular highly sought after market
- Signage within the boundary of Cairns Showgrounds and around the local area (if allowed by council).
- Paid and free advertising in either newspapers, magazines, newsletters or radio
- Editorials in media whenever possible
- All online event calendars
- Blogs/Websites and Facebook
- Shoutout on Facebook/Blog for paid stallholders
- High quality venue with GREAT exposure
- Public and Product Liability insurance (most stallholders)
- Brochures displayed at Venue for customers during opening hours
1. The Handmade Expo is a HANDMADE, HANDBAKED and HANDGROWN market (with a few supplies thrown in) and now with VINTAGE.
All products on your site that you have for sale at The Handmade Expo Market must be handmade by you or by someone close to you (close family or friend) local to the Cairns area, however, we do allow third party handmade selling. A link to each seller you are representing needs to be listed on your application form for assessment and acknowledged on your stall. We do not allow any imported, mass produced or manufactured items on any stall.
In the past, we have had a few concerns with stall holders bringing in items that they have not made personally. To qualify as handmade the creator must have a creative input into the product rather than purchasing a pre-made embellishment online (it is ok if you make the embellishment) and sticking it onto a clip, or t-shirt (or other item) or changing a tag or packaging. Sometimes it is easy to spot items that are not handmade as we have seen them elsewhere in the exactly the same design on numerous stalls.
It is in your best interest to make sure all items on your stall are unique to you, that you are able to adjust your designs to fill an order if required and you can also change your product to suit the demand of the market clientele.
If questioned by one of The Handmade Expo Market team you must be able to demonstrate how that item was made and if found in breach of our handmade only policy all items will need to be removed from sale immediately.
We hope by reminding you in advance of our market that we will not have any concerns with items on any stall (regardless of what type of items you make) and will be able to proudly remain The Handmade Expo Market, the place to go for quality handmade items.
GOURMET FOOD SECTION: A stallholder may sell gourmet foods on a 3rd party basis such as cheeses, yoghurts, deli meats etc provided they are handmade in Australia and by a small family run business. Product approval is subject to coordinators discretion.
2. Details of Bump in time and stallholder parking for the market will be provided in an email on the Thursday or Friday before market day. Try to avoid parking close to the venue in carparks that customers would use. We realise that this won’t always be possible but if close customer parking is taken up by stallholders, then maybe people will leave because they couldn’t get a car park.
3. Pack up time is 2pm. We do not have to stop trading at 2pm. If there are lots of customers, we can keep trading and this is at the discretion of the Market Coordinator. Please do not pack up until the advertised closing time of 2pm as this causes hazards for the general public and yourself and could negate your insurance cover and therefore you would be liable for any damages. If you have sold out of your product, please see your market co-ordinator for further instructions.
4. Allocation of individual sites is done a couple of days before the market. Any requests you have need to be placed on your application form for consideration or emailed through to your market coordinator. You can make your site permanent by attending the market every month. If you do miss a month however, we can not guarantee the same site.
5. No refunds will be given whatsoever, unless a stallholder has paid for the year in advance. The Handmade Expo Market trades rain, hail or shine. No credits or refunds are issued in the case of bad weather. The Market will trade in all weather conditions except cyclones. Please do not apply for a stall unless you are prepared to take the risk. Cairns is a mostly undercover/indoor venue with some outdoor sites.
If a stallholder cancels within 14 days of the market it is up to the discretion of the Market Coordinator if they transfer payment to another date however only ONE transfer per market year will occur, if you miss the next booked date you lose your payment. Transfers shall not be expected. There will be no transfers of payment if cancellations occur within 48 hours of the market.
6. Copying the ideas and work of other stallholders may be in breach of creative copyright and is not in the spirit of the market. Any grievances need to be directed specifically to the relevant stallholders. The Handmade Expo Market takes no responsibility in determining copyright legality.
7. We do not give any stallholder exclusive product rights to our market nor should you as the stallholder expect this from The Handmade Expo Market. The market coordinator’s decision is final.
8. Raffle tickets are not to be sold at The Handmade Expo Market unless prior approval has been given.
9. Stallholders are responsible for leaving their site and surrounding area clean & tidy from rubbish, etc. If a stallholders site is not left clean, a $10 cleaning fee will apply.
10. Stallholders must conﬁne their displays and signs to the stall site allocated and keep pathways clear for patrons as per insurance and OH&S requirements. Tablecloths must also be tucked into and around tables so as not to cause a hazard and must be floor length so as to hide any stored boxes etc from the public’s view.
11. If you have an outdoor site, you MUST have a canopy and it MUST be secured or weighed down at all times.
12. Stallholders using gas or electrical appliances must have a suitable ﬁre extinguisher or ﬁre blanket on site. Electrical leads must be tagged by a qualiﬁed tested every 12 months...max. This will be checked regularly.
13. It is the responsibility of you as the stallholder and not The Handmade Expo Market whatsoever, to trade in accordance with Market, State and Local Laws. This applies to anybody selling food. If you are selling food please ensure you have a copy of your current, applicable licences with you on the day of the market as The Handmade Expo Market coordinators may ask to view them or a local Food / Health Inspector maybe onsite at our market at any time, without notice.
14. It is the responsibility of you as the stallholder and not The Handmade Expo Market whatsoever to ensure you conform to any Australian standards pertaining to your product.
15. Loud product promotion by stallholders is not permitted.
16. Stalls must not pack up until the advertised closing time of 2pm.
17. The Handmade Expo Market accepts no responsibility for damages of goods.
18. The Handmade Expo Market has the right to withdraw the right to trade of any stallholder in dispute with The Handmade Expo Market. Trade will be only reinstated if the dispute is resolved to The Handmade Expo Market satisfaction.
19. Dogs: In the interest of health & safety NO DOGS unless leashed (applies to stallholders and patrons) are permitted to enter the market area. (except for Guide Dogs and Assistance Dogs ).
20. The Handmade Expo Market accepts no responsibility for the damage of any vehicle or market hardware (tables, canopies, etc).
21. We highly encourage a smoke free market. Please keep in mind the 4m law. There is no smoking at all inside the Parramatta State School grounds.
Vintage Market Guidelines:
This is the first time The handmade Expo and Vintage Market has offered sites for Vintage items to be sold in conjunction with our market at the Ipswich location. We have a vision for stalls to be within keeping of the look and feel of The Handmade Expo and Vintage Market and will be appropriately assessing each application with our vision in mind. You will be asked to supply lots of information with your application, photos, Facebook website, pictures of your stall set up and the more information you can give us, the easier it will be for both of us.
1. If you are applying to sell in our vintage section, all of your stock must be true vintage or collectable. By definition vintage is ‘Denoting something from the past of high quality, especially something representing the best of its kind’.
2. All vintage items must be clean and your displays presentable, with table cloths to the floor to hide boxes and packaging items.
3. The following items are not permitted at this market: knives (excluding small pocket knives), swords, weaponry, tools, heavy metal or machinery items that require oil or petrol, any items with vulgarities, smutty humour/ swear words or nudity. Whilst they may be vintage or collectable, this is not the market for those items.
4. We do not accept any modern reproduction or mass produced items under the vintage market section.
5. Care must be taken at all times to make sure any stock resting on the floor of your display, does not damage the floor surface ( eg garden furniture with metal legs, heavy wooden boxes)
6. You will be able to combine your handmade items with some vintage items, if you make application to do so and include this in your description.
7. All electrical items for sale must be tagged with either an appropriate safety tag or a clear and visible tag that states the item has not been tested and deemed safe and the buyer must do so before using. ( For example Lamps )
8. Any breakages at your stall are not included in our insurance, you must therefore have your own insurance if you want to cover expensive breakages.
9. Detailed photographs of a typical stall set up of your goods will need to accompany your application. The photos should depict the type of items you sell and how you display them. We have a standard set for this market and will only be approving applicants who display that standard.
If you list a Facebook page on your application, we will expect to see photos as examples of your market and display experience on your page. If you are a creative, we would also like to see some of your works in progress.
We realise by showing us previous pictures of your vintage setup and items that they may already be sold and cannot be reproduced, but it will give us an idea of your style.
Once you have read the above stallholder guidelines and completed the Application Form please email your photos & Insurance Certificate of Currency if applicable to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Handmade Expo Market Team looks forward to receiving your application form for assessment :)